Position: Technical Services Librarian
Reports To: Library Director
Position Summary: The Technical Services Librarian is responsible for the coordination, planning, and implementation of the cataloging, technical, and computer functions of the library. This position oversees the library’s ILS/OPAC, Envisionware/public computers, and telephone services. This position has considerable contact with the public as well as collaborative contact with coworkers.
- Coordinates all activities and services related to Technical Services.
- Serves as liaison between ILS, IT, and other technology and telephone-related vendors.
- Oversees all aspects of the library’s participation in NICCL (Northern Indiana Computer Consortium for Libraries).
- Maintains accurate statistics and generates statistical reporting.
- Catalogs and classifies items for the library’s collection.
- Maintains the library bibliographic and patron databases.
- Keeps current of trends related to technical services librarianship.
- Participates in professional development opportunities.
- Submits required reports and budget requests.
- Serves on library committees.
- Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives, as needed.
- Fulfills all duties at circulation desk as scheduled, including opening, and closing library.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program and two years of previous technical services library experience
- Considerable knowledge of standard library practices, procedures, and technologies
- Current Indiana Public Library certification, or the ability to attain one within 6 months
- Experience with adults in learning environments
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Zoom, mobile devices, and at least one ILS, preferably TLC
- Capable of learning new software programs and technologies
- Skilled in cataloging, classification, and library materials processing
- Significant computer, technology, and library systems training and experience
- Independently perform the full range of professional librarian duties, including reference and readers’ advisory services, collection development and maintenance, and provide instruction in the use of library services and equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exemplify courteous behavior and creative problem resolution
- Research and develop grant applications and sponsorship requests. Manage grant-funded projects and submit grant reports
- Recommend and assist in the development of library policies and procedures, disaster recovery plan, and strategic planning
- Ability to work cooperatively and have positive working relationship with patrons, co-workers, and vendors
- Ability to prioritize job responsibilities and work independently
- Ability to transport self to off-site meetings, conferences, and trainings
- A heart for public service and information sharing
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift at least 30 pounds, reach high shelves, stoop, bend, and remain standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time
Work Environment: Ability to work without supervision in a fast-paced multitasking environment, interact with public in cordial fashion, be receptive to change, and attentive to details
Hours: Salaried, exempt, full time (37.5+ hours). Must be available to work one evening a week and at least one Saturday a month
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Vision, Vacation, Sick Time, Paid Holidays, and Retirement Plan
Salary Range: $40,000 – $70,000, based on experience
Extra Special Benefits: Making your dreams of data-gathering in Excel a reality; reviewing statistics from a variety of sources to form a puzzle that propels the library forward; creating AHA! moments for coworkers and patrons with your ability to educate and inform; fostering relationships between humans and technologies; thriving in an environment of discovery and sharing your sense of curiosity for the benefit of others; creating sensible and streamlined workflows that wow everyone involved; geeking with mobile devices and services.
Please email a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references (include name, title, telephone number, and e-mail address) to:
Juli Wald | email@example.com
Inquiries received prior to March 31, 2022 will receive priority. Position open until filled.