Community Room Deposit & Policy
The Middlebury Public Library Board of Trustees and the Middlebury Town Council welcome the use of the community room by responsible individuals. A major goal of the Library and Town Council is to provide for the educational, cultural, intellectual, charitable, and recreational needs of the community, and it is expected that the room will be used to accomplish this goal. However, the fact that a group is permitted to meet at the community room does not, in any way, constitute support for nor an endorsement of the group and its activities, beliefs, policies and aims.
- The community room is available to many community residents and organizations. It is open for educational, cultural, intellectual, charitable, and recreational activities; permitted uses include family reunions and open houses. However, the community room is not available for commercial or for-profit purposes. Further, the room is not available when, in the reasonable judgement of the Library Director, any disorderly conduct or disruptive behavior may occur from intended use. The total capacity of the three-community room is one hundred fifty (150) people; can be divided into three smaller rooms with a capacity of 50 people per room are available.
- Library or Town sponsored activities are given priority. The Library Board and Town Council reserve the right to revoke reservations for the community room at any time. Notice will be given as soon as possible.
- Reservations are required. An application (see Online Version below) must be completed and provided at the time the reservation is made. The name of the organization, time desired, and the name of the person responsible for the meeting must be registered at the time the reservation is arranged. The hours of availability are 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (time requested for event must include set up and tear down times since the room may be rented out by another party for the day).
- At the discretion of the Library Board or Town Council, duly recognized clubs and organizations chartered in the Middlebury Public Library taxing district may have access to the community room without deposit. No general admission may be charged to anyone attending a meeting in the community room. Groups may, however, restrict meetings to their own members and make normal collection of the dues/fees from their own members. No buying/selling of products or services is permitted on Library property except in support of Library or Town activities. For all other individuals and organizations that live in or own property in the Middlebury Public Library taxing district, users will be requested to submit a donation for the use of the community rooms as follows:
- 1 room: $75 which includes a $25 refundable deposit.
- 2 rooms: $150 which includes a $50 refundable deposit.
- 3 rooms: $225 which includes a $75 refundable deposit.
- Payment by cash, check, or debit/credit card.
- Deposits held by credit card will incur a non-refundable credit card fee established by the credit card software company.
- Regardless of the number of rooms reserved, an additional donation of $25 is requested for use of the kitchen facilities.
*Failure to return the key within 48 hours or failure to comply with the requirements of this policy will result in the loss of the refundable deposit.
- If the use is for a group of people under the age of 18 years, someone over the age of 18 assuming responsibility must always be present.
- The community room has kitchen facilities. Use of kitchen facilities will be established at the time of the reservation. Priority will be given to the first reservation. The kitchen must be left in a clean and orderly condition or the deposit will not be refunded.
- No smoking is allowed in the community room. No alcoholic beverages may be served in the community room. No flammable or explosive materials, open flames, or controlled substances are allowed.
- Users are responsible for arranging tables and chairs and for leaving the community room and public areas (restrooms, hallways, and so forth) in a neat and orderly condition. Groups should be certain the lights are off and doors are locked when they leave. Groups reserving the room are responsible for any damage to the room or its contents.
- The Library’s AV equipment is not included in the use of the room. Any other special equipment, supplies, or decorations must be approved when reservation is made. No provision will be made for storage of equipment and supplies.
- If a meeting is cancelled, the Library must be notified as soon as possible.
- The Library is authorized to deny permission to use the community room to any group that has previously been disorderly or violated the rules contained in this policy.
- Neither the name, address, or telephone number of the Middlebury Public Library or the Middlebury Town Council may be used as the name, address, telephone number, or headquarters of an organization. Advertising and publicity by any club or organization may not be used which states or implies sponsorship, co-sponsorship, or approval of the Library or The Town.
- Animals, except for service animals as provided under applicable law, will not be allowed in the room unless permission is secured in advance.
- Neither the Library Board nor the Town Council assumes any responsibility for accidents, personal injury, property damage or for the security of clothing items, valuables, personal items, group equipment, or other personal property.
Approved and adopted by the Library Board ( January 12, 2012) and the Town Council (2012).
Revised and approved by the Library Board 4/11/19 and the Town Council 6/17/19
Revised and approved by Library Board 4/20/23