Middlebury Public Library received a grant from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) in response to community recovery from COVID-19. The $25,864 grant will primarily be used to meet the technological needs of the library’s patrons. The Indiana State Library has received $3,471,810 as part of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) to support libraries and library services in the State of Indiana. ARPA funds are administered under the Institute of Museum and Library Services’ (IMLS) Grants to States program.
The ARPA funding will be used to enhance technology access and resources for educational and personal needs. The Library will provide:
- Four laptops for in-library lending, which can be helpful for those needing connectivity for things such as telehealth appointments, eLearning, working remotely, or online interviews and meetings.
- Our WiFi will receive an upgrade and additional access points to meet patron needs.
- Ten new Launchpad tablets have been purchased for the developmental and educational needs for patrons of all ages.
- The Library is working on a website refresh and a mobile library app to make accessing library resources easier.
- Although it’s not a technological connection, we were also able to purchase fifteen new story walk books for Middlebury Trail Tales at Riverbend Park, which is a fun opportunity for our younger readers to connect to a story in nature.
The Middlebury Public Library is grateful for this funding and the enhancements it will allow us to provide the community. The upgrades and additions are expected to be complete by late July 2022.
“As pillars of our communities, libraries and museums bring people together by providing important programs, services, and collections. These institutions are trusted spaces where people can learn, explore and grow,” said IMLS Director Crosby Kemper. “IMLS is proud to support their initiatives through our grants as they educate and enhance their communities.”
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation’s libraries and museums. We advance, support, and empower America’s museums, libraries, and related organizations through grant making, research, and policy development. Our vision is a nation where museums and libraries work together to transform the lives of individuals and communities. To learn more, visit www.imls.gov and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.