The Middlebury Public Library prides itself on providing a safe and enjoyable experience to all its patrons and visitors, offering an atmosphere conducive to unimpeded and enjoyable Library use. To retain the privacy of Library users, the following is the stated policy for photography, filming, and recording in the library.
The Library reserves the right to document its services and the public’s use of the Library by taking photographs and making video or audio recordings of its programs, events, activities and their participants for use in brochures, flyers, web pages, or other promotional materials. To ensure the privacy of all individuals, including children, images will not be identified using personal identifying information or full names without written approval from the photographed subject or parent/guardian if a minor. In some instances, a patron’s first name may be included with a photograph, unless the Library is instructed that this is not acceptable to the individual or the individual’s parent/guardian. Those wishing not to be photographed or recorded should inform the photographer or Library staff.
- All other photography or recording inside the Library requires the prior permission of the Library Director. Permission to photograph individuals must be granted by those individuals or their guardians. Any such photographers are responsible for arranging all necessary releases and permissions from persons who are filmed or photographed.
- The Library welcomes news media photographers and reporters documenting stories or projects that directly involve the Library and its programs, resources and services, provided that advance notice is given, patron use of the Library is not impeded, and the provisions of this policy are followed.
- No commercial photography or recording inside the Library is permissible without the written permission of the Library Director or the Director’s designee, which shall set forth the conditions under which the photography or recording may take place. The Library requires credit, in print, in any finished product when photographs/video recordings are used for commercial purposes.
- Non-flash photography and personal videos are permitted at Library programs and events for personal use, not for publication or broadcast, provided it is not disruptive and does not capture any identifiable likenesses of individuals without their permission. Taking photographs at author events is subject to the wishes of the individual author. Video recording of Library programs and events is strictly prohibited.
- Community organizations holding scheduled events or meetings in the Library study or meeting rooms may arrange for their own photography or video recording of their event. Such photography and video recording must be for personal use, not for publication or broadcast and is restricted to the space reserved by the group.
ADOPTED: July 8, 2021