The Middlebury Public Library welcomes donations of books and other materials that expand and enhance our collection or are suitable for resale. The Library gratefully accepts monetary gifts from individuals, businesses, corporations, and organizations. Modest gifts are greatly appreciated, as are bequests, endowments, and larger contributions.
Books and other Material Donations
All donations are considered for current usage needs and become the sole property of the Library. Materials (books and media) not added to the Library’s collection may be sold by our Friends of the Library for programming and services support, distributed to charities, recycled, or discarded if necessary.
Donations are subject to the Library’s Collection Policy. Accepted donations include:
- Books in like-new condition (little to no signs of wear or damage)
- Commercially produced DVDs in original packaging
- Audiobooks on CD in original packaging
A letter of receipt for tax purposes is available upon request. The donor is responsible for determining the value of any donated items.
The Library will not accept:
- encyclopedias, magazines, comic books, CDs, vinyl records, cassette tapes, textbooks, Reader’s Digest condensed books, mass market (pocket) paperbacks, materials with highlighting or handwriting (except author-signed books), withdrawn materials from other libraries
Monetary Donations, Memorials, and Bequests
- Unrestricted monetary gifts will be used to purchase library materials or equipment, support programming or collection development, or in other ways that assist the Library in its services to the public.
- Restricted monetary gifts and endowments will be used in a manner that is consistent with the restrictions and conditions placed on the donation.
- When the Middlebury Public Library is included in a will or estate, funds will be used to support Library services and collections. Any restrictions on use of the funds will be honored.
- Donor names are public information unless anonymity is requested.
ADOPTED: July 8, 2021