Library Board of Trustees Information Packet
To provide quality library service to Middlebury, York, and Jefferson townships, the Middlebury Public Library requires a working team of a Library Director and a Board of Trustees. The Board acts in a position of trust for the community and is responsible for the effective and ethical governance of the Library, and for supporting the work of the Library Director.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Currently live in Middlebury, York, or Jefferson townships, and have done so for two years.
- Are active users of our library and familiar with our services.
- Have a strong commitment to the preservation and expansion of libraries and library services.
- Have time to attend all board meetings held on the second Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm.
- Will listen and consider other perspectives to reach a consensus.
- Will speak up and voice a dissenting or different opinion if such is the case.
- Will take advantage of opportunities for more education about libraries through conferences and local workshops and to share that information with the community.
- Will act as a liaison between the library and the community, whether that means visiting a legislator, writing a letter to the editor, or speaking on the behalf of the library.
- Collaborate with the Library Director on the strategic direction of the Library
- Establish, review, and update policies
- Review and approve the annual operating and capital budgets
- Monitor revenues and expenditures
Expectations of Participation:
- Prepare for Board meetings in advance
- Attend regularly scheduled Board meetings
- Participate fully, question openly, and deliberate thoughtfully
- Support library efforts by attending events and programs
- Advocate for the Library